Citizen Police Academy 2020
Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy 2020
The Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy is a free interactive course designed to acquaint individuals who are not sworn police officers with the activities of the Police Department. The Citizen Police Academy is open to adults who live or work in the Woodland community. Due to COVID-19 precautions, we only accepted 12 participants for CPA 2020.
CPA 2020 IS FULL
The Next Academy will be in the Fall of 2021
Participants will be selected on a first come, first serve basis. Only those who can commit to attending the full session should apply.
The Citizen Police Academy will run annually for 12 sessions in the fall of each year. Our next Citizen’s Police Academy will be in the Fall of 2020. The academy will start in September 2020 and run for 12 sessions ending in mid-December 2020. The class will meet on select Thursday nights from 6:00 to 8:30 pm and a few Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Along with the class room sessions, participants will be required to attend one ride along session during the course of the academy in order to graduate the program.
Citizen Police Academy Mission
The mission of the Citizen Police Academy is to strengthen community partnerships by offering citizen the opportunity to interact with our professional staff, increase their understanding of police operations and become ambassadors to the community.
September 10, 2020 - December 17, 2020
From 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Thursdays: 9/10, 9/17, 10/1, 10/15, 11/5, 11/19, 12/10, 12/17
From 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays: 10/10, 10/24, 12/5
- Woodland Police Department overview, history and tour
- Overview of police bureaus and functions
- Recruitment and training
- K-9 overview and demonstration
- Traffic laws, enforcement and motors demonstration
- Tactical driving and traffic stops
- Firearms and Tasers overview
- Defensive tactics and de-escalation techniques
- Intelligence Led-Policing overview
- Shoot and don’t shoot scenarios
- Crime scene investigations
- Homeless Outreach Street Team overview
- Crime Prevention and community engagement programs
- and much more!
Citizen Police Academy participants must meet the following requirements:
- Live or work in the City of Woodland
- Minimum age of 21 years old (by September 1, 2020)
- No misdemeanor arrests within 5-years of application
- No prior felony convictions
Participants will be required to provide a DMV 3-year driver history report, drug use questionnaire, and obtain a medical clearance from their personal physician as part of the application process. After the application is reviewed and deemed acceptable, participants will need to complete a *Department of Justice fingerprint check before being accepted to the academy. *You do not schedule your own fingerprint appointments, a CPA Coordinator will contact you to schedule.
The application period is from June 1, 2020 until August 7, 2020 or until full. The academy is limited to 12 participants for this year in order to help maintain appropriate social distancing. No late applications will be considered.
How to Apply
There are two ways to obtain an application packet for the Citizen Police Academy- Starting June 1, 2020:
1. ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: You may complete the online Citizen Police Academy application form HERE. Please make sure you print, complete and scan the following documents BEFORE filling out the online form. You will not be able to complete the application without these items:
- DMV Driving Record Report (3 year history) - You can request and receive a copy online at www.dmv.ca.gov. The cost is minimal for the report.
- California Driver’s License or ID Card - scanned color copy (.jpg or .pdf format).
- Current Auto Insurance - scanned copy of proof of auto liability insurance.
- Clearance from Medical Doctor - this form must be completed by your health care professional.
- City of Woodland Waiver of Liability, Medical Release, and Indemnification Agreement for Minor and Adult Participant - This form must be printed, signed and submitted along with the online application.
- Ride-Along Waiver - the ride-along waiver must be completed and submitted with the online application.
2. PICK UP APPLICATION: You may pick up a packet at the front counter at the Woodland Police Department located at 1000 Lincoln Avenue, Woodland, CA 95695. Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.
All application packets must have all requested documents and be thoroughly completed. After the application is reviewed, you will be contacted with the outcome and provided further information.
Applications can be submitted online or turned into the Woodland Police Department front counter (ATTN: Trista Kennedy). The front counter is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm.
For more questions about the Citizen Police Academy, please contact Trista Kennedy at 530-661-7865 or by email at Trista.Kennedy@cityofwoodland.org.