Citizen Police Academy 2019
Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy 2019
The Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy is a free interactive course designed to acquaint individuals who are not sworn police officers with the activities of the Police Department. The Citizen Police Academy is open to adults who live or work in the Woodland community.
The Citizen Police Academy will run annually for 12 sessions in the fall of each year. Our next Citizen’s Police Academy will be in the Fall of 2019. The academy will start in September 2019 and run for 12 sessions ending in mid-December 2019. The class will meet on select Thursday nights from 6:00 to 8:30 pm and a few Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Along with the class room sessions, participants will be required to attend one ride along session during the course of the academy in order to graduate the program.
Citizen Police Academy Mission
The mission of the Citizen Police Academy is to strengthen community partnerships by offering citizen the opportunity to interact with our professional staff, increase their understanding of police operations and become ambassadors to the community.
September 2019 - December 2019
From 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Thursdays: 9/19, 9/26, 10/10, 10/24, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 12/5, 12/12
From 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays: 10/19, 11/2, 12/7
- Woodland Police Department overview, history and tour
- Overview of police bureaus and functions
- Recruitment and training
- K-9 overview and demonstration
- Traffic laws, enforcement and motors demonstration
- Tactical driving and traffic stops
- Firearms and Tasers overview
- Defensive tactics and de-escalation techniques
- Computer Statistics (COMPSTAT) overview
- Shoot and don't shoot scenarios
- Crime scene investigations
- Homeless Outreach Street Team overview
- Crime Prevention and community engagement programs
- and much more!
Citizen Police Academy participants must meet the following requirements:
- Live or work in the City of Woodland
- Minimum age of 21 years old (by September 1, 2019)
- No misdemeanor arrests within 5-years of application
- No prior felony convictions
Participants will be required to provide a DMV 3-year driver history report, drug use questionnaire, and obtain a medical clearance from their personal physician as part of the application process. After the application is reviewed and deemed acceptable, participants will need to complete a *Department of Justice fingerprint check before being accepted to the academy. *You do not schedule your own fingerprint appointments, Detective Tamara Pelle will contact you to schedule.
The application period is from May 28, 2019 until August 2, 2019 or until full. The academy is limited to 20 participants and no late applications will be considered.
How to Apply
There are two ways to obtain an application packet for the Citizen Police Academy- Starting May 28, 2019:
- You may pick up a packet at the front counter at the Woodland Police Department located at 1000 Lincoln Avenue, Woodland, CA 95695. Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8am to 5pm and Friday from 8am to 12pm.
- You may download a PDF by clicking this link: This is not an online form - you will need to print, complete and drop off at the Woodland Police Department.
All application packets must have all requested documents attached and be thoroughly completed. After the packet is reviewed, you will be contacted with the outcome and provided further information.
Applications can be turned into the Woodland Police Department front counter (ATTN: Trista Kennedy) Monday through Thursday from 8am to 5pm and Friday from 8am to 12pm.
For more questions about the Citizen Police Academy, please contact Trista Kennedy at 530-661-7865 or by email at Trista.Kennedy@cityofwoodland.org.