CD - Code Compliance

What is Code Enforcement?

Code Enforcement is a specialized field in that most of the Codes enforced are those that are adopted by the City Council. The Codes reflect the needs of the community. Many of the Codes enforced are related to property issues. In addition we also enforce some State codes and laws, as is the case with building, housing, and health and safety Codes.

How does enforcing Codes benefit the community?

Code Enforcement works to maintain neighborhoods by reducing blight and unsafe conditions. By doing this the community as a whole becomes a pleasant and safe place to live and raise a family.

What is considered a code violation?

There are numerous items that can be a violation of the City Municipal Code. The most common are: tall dry grass/weeds, rubbish/junk/debris, illegal residential vehicle parking, graffiti on private property, inoperable vehicles, illegal encroachments, and unpermitted structures. If you feel that a property has a possible violation, you can contact the Code Compliance Division and we will investigate the complaint.

How do I report a violation?

You can report a violation in writing or in person at:
Community Development Department
300 First Street, Woodland CA. 95695
or by contacting
Code Enforcement by phone at (530) 661-5826
or by e-mail at:

James Carr:

When filing a complaint, please provide:

  • The specific complaint or problem, you feel is a violation.
  • The location of the problem, street name, and house number. If the address in unknown, give the location of the property.
  • *Provide your name, address, and telephone number (*not required).
  • See Complaint-Form

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

Yes, we keep all personal information confidential unless subpoenaed by a court. However if you choose not to leave a contact name and phone number with the officer, your complaint will receive a lower priority response.

Who is responsible for resolving Code violations?

The property owner is ultimately responsible for any Code violations on their property. However in some cases the tenants or business owners can be held responsible for any violations directly linked to their actions.

What if I can't correct the violation in the time frame prescribed - what can I do?

Contact the Compliance Officer prior to the re-inspection date. The officer may provide you additional time to make the corrections provided you have made some progress towards compliance and the violation is not an immediate health and safety hazard.

What is the status of my complaint? Why does it seem like nothing has been done?

Always contact the Code Enforcement Officer to find out the status of your complaint. Code Enforcement strives for voluntary compliance from the responsible party; this may include extensions of time to gain compliance. All legal processes must be followed and exhausted prior to any direct abatement action taken by the City.

What is an in-operable vehicle and where can they be stored

An in-operable vehicle is defined in Sec. 14A-1-2 of the City of Woodland Municipal Code: An "Inoperable vehicle" includes all motorized and nonmotorized vehicles, including, but not limited to, cars, trucks, trailers, recreational vehicles, farm equipment, motorcycles, boats, dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, and dune buggies, which the engine, wheels, tires or other parts have been removed or on which the engine, wheels, tires, or other parts have been altered, damaged or otherwise so treated that the vehicle is incapable of being driven under its own motor power or incapable of being operated on public streets or highways legally. A vehicle that is not registered or does not display a current valid license plate and validating sticker shall be deemed inoperable. A vehicle shall be deemed inoperable when it has one or more flat tires or has one or more missing windshield or windows, or has one or more windshield or windows broken to the extent that visibility is limited so as to make driving such vehicle unsafe.

Please see Sec. 14A-1-3(b)(4) of the Woodland Municipal Code for further details.

What are the regulations for placement of portable basketball hoops?

While being used, a portable basketball hoop can be placed on the street next to the curb as long as it is not a safety hazard. They should never block a sidewalk or handicap ramp. When not in use they are to be returned to the owner’s property.

What are the regulations for automotive repair at my home?

Minor vehicle repair may be done on a personal vehicle outside a fully enclosed structure where elapsed time between the beginning and the end of the repair do not exceed forty-eight hours. Painting of any vehicle is not permitted in a residential zone. (Sec. 14A-1-3.1)

What are the regulations on garage/yard sales?

Each property is limited to no more than two (2) sales in one calendar year, each sale cannot be conducted for more than three (3) consecutive days, and signs should not be posted earlier than one (1) day prior and removed within one (1) day after the sale. Please see Sec. 25-21-65 of the Woodland Municipal Code for further details.

My neighbor and I are having a dispute regarding the property line; can you help us with this matter?

Boundary disputes are personal legal matters and are not within the jurisdiction of the municipality (Note: unless a municipal boundary is the subject of the problem). You should consult an attorney or your title company to assist you.

Does Code Enforcement enforce C.C. & R's (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions)?

C.C. & R's are rules and regulations for a sub-division; they usually have more restrictive rules than what is in City Code. These rules and regulations are either enforced by a homeowners association or through civil action.

What is an illegal encroachment?

An encroachment is any obstruction on a city street or sidewalk (Public Right of Way). The most common encroachments include, but are not limited to: Basketball hoops, garbage cans (for an extended period of time), rubbish, junk and debris.

Where can I get more information?

You can get more information at the Community Development Department located at 300 First Street, Woodland CA. 95695 or by contacting Code Enforcement at (530) 661-5826.

Services offered by other departments

Weed Abatement - Woodland Fire Department (530) 661-5860

Graffiti Abatement - Woodland Police Department (530) 661-7800

Parking Enforcement - Woodland Police Department (530) 661-7800