Frequently Asked Questions

Why are traffic signals needed?

The primary function of any traffic signal is to assign the right-of-way at an intersection or crossing.  The familiar red, yellow, and green lights allow pedestrians and conflicting streams of traffic to share the same intersection by means of time separation.

Who decides which intersections need signals?

The City installs traffic signals in accordance with established State and Federal guidelines called warrants.  City traffic staff review intersections using these warrants. 

How do I request a stop?

Similar to traffic signals, stop signs must meet warrants (guidelines) for installation.  If you would like request that a study be performed to evaluate a location for a stop sign, please contact us by clicking here or by calling (530) 661-5820.

The Traffic Engineering Division gets over 200 requests, suggestions, and complaints each year and investigates each one as quickly as possible.  We value your input and appreciate your patience and understanding while we are resolving problems or answering your questions.

How do I get additional street lights placed on my street?

If you feel there is a lack of lighting on your residential street and would like to petition for additional street lights on your street, you may submit your request by clicking here or by calling (530) 661-5820.

How do I report an obvious malfunction with an existing traffic signal?             

If there is an obvious malfunction with an existing City traffic signal, please contact the City of Woodland Public Works Municipal Service Center at (530) 661-5962 during normal business hours.  Malfunctions include a signal that has been knocked over, a signal that is stuck in red phase, or not turning green for a particular direction, or a signal with lights out.  Please be prepared to provide the location of the signal (the intersecting streets), the direction in which it is affecting, and a description of the problem.

Why doesn't the City place temporary signs at intersections during power outages?

The City of Woodland typically will not place temporary stop signs at an intersection with inoperative traffic signals because it is the recommendation of the State and Federal guidelines to not post temporary signs.  One of the major reasons for the guideline is that if the signal returns to power and is operating with a stop sign in place, it causes confusion for the drivers, and creates traffic conflicts.

How do I get speed bumps installed on my street?

Please click here to be directed to the City's Neighborhood Traffic Management Program information page.

People drive too fast on my street, can the City lower the speed limit?

In most cases, lowering the speed limit on certain streets will not slow traffic.  The majority of motorists travel at a speed in which they feel is reasonable speed given the surroundings of the street, regardless of what the posted speed limit signs read.  The basic speed law states that no person shall drive at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent.  Therefore, the State of California has established the 85th percentile, or critical speed as the sensible speed.  This is the speed at which 85% of the motorists are traveling at or below. 

People are always speeding on my street, can the City post a stop sign?

Stop signs are not a traffic calming method for speed reduction and in most cases will actually increase mid-block speeds as people speed to 'regain' time lost by stopping.  Stop signs can only be posted in warranted locations.  If you would like to request a stop sign please contact us by clicking here or by calling (530) 661-5820.

Where can I park when I visit downtown Woodland?

The convenient street parking and several parking lots in downtown Woodland are close to Main Street and range from all day to hourly.  Click here to see a map that shows all of the public parking lots in the downtown area.  For more information about parking in Woodland, please see the Downtown Parking Management Plans.

What is the difference between a marked crosswalk and an unmarked crosswalk?

An informational flyer on crosswalks is provided here.

Are bushes or shrubbery allowed to obstruct the vision of the driver?

The City ordinance reads that no foliage or structural features shall extend into the cross visibility area between three and one-half feet and seven feet above the surface of the public sidewalk area or shoulder.  The intent of this restriction is to keep free a walkway without interference by or with vehicular travel.  No encroachment of any nature will be permitted or maintained which impedes, obstructs or denies such pedestrian or other lawful travel within the limits of the right-of-way or which impairs sight distance for safe pedestrian or vehicular traffic.  Furthermore, the permitted or the owner of the adjacent property shall maintain the hedges, shrubs, walls, fences or similar structures erected for landscaping purposes in a neat and orderly condition at all times.

How do I get a pothole fixed?

Please contact the City of Woodland Public Works Department at (530) 661-5962.

How do I get cracked asphalt on my street fixed?

Please contact the City of Woodland Public Works Department at (530) 661-5962.

When is my street scheduled to be resurfaced?

With the passage of Measure E, the City set a goal of resurfacing every local street within the life of the sales tax measure.  Currently we are on track to meet that goal by 2018 with the tax sunsets.  If you would like information specific to your street or neighborhood please contact us or call (530) 661-5820.

A crew was on my street last year paving, why are you resurfacing it again this year?

Streets that are scheduled to be resurfaced generally need significant prep work provided first.  In some cases, the amount of prep work is extensive and residents on occasion don't realize that it is only prep work.  The final product however may be a slurry seal or cape seal applied one year following the prep work.

Why is my street getting resurfaced now it doesn't look that bad really?

There are various levels of resurfacing needs however history has shown that maintaining good roads in condition is significantly less expensive than waiting until they fail and completely rebuilding them.  The purpose of sealing the roads is to protect against premature aging and extend the life of the asphalt.  Think of it like sunblock for your roads!  If you have further questions, please contact us or call (530) 661-5820.

How do I report a street sign that is knocked down or bent?

Please contact the City of Woodland Public Works Department at (530) 661-5962.

What can be done about a car parked illegally on my street?

Please contact the City of Woodland Police Department at (530) 661-7800.

My streetlight Is out.  What should I do?

If the pole is metal or concrete, please contact the City of Woodland Public Works Department at (530) 661-5962.  Please note the pole number indicated approximately 8' above the ground.

If the pole is wooden, please contact Pacific Gas and Electric Company at (800) 743-5000.

Why are some streetlights white and some yellowish?

Different styles of lights work at different color temperatures.  Most of the white or blue looking lights are the newly installed LED light fixtures that were installed as an energy and money saving measure.  The yellowish colored lights are typically high pressure sodium lights.

How do traffic signals detect cars and bikes?

Most of the City's traffic signals have a way to detect vehicles and bicycles.  Some locations have a loop of wire placed in the roadway that can determine when a vehicle or bicycle is present.  Many newer signals have the bicycle detector symbol (small bike symbol) on the loop in the locations where a cyclist is most likely to be detected by a signal.

In a few locations where traffic loops are not feasible, the City has used video detection.  The video detection system works by providing an image to a small computer that can detect a change in the image and determine the presence of a vehicle or bicycle.

Video detection can sometimes be compromised by the environment: fog, dust, shadows, trees, headlights and the reflection of the son on the asphalt can all have adverse effects on the accuracy of detection.

Further Questions:

If you have viewed the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website and you feel that your questions or concerns have not been addressed, please feel free to contact us or call (530) 661-5820.