FAQ - General

Are you required to license your bicycle in Woodland?
Yes, bicycle licenses are required. A license can be obtained by bringing your bicycle to the front office of the police department during business hours. The serial number of the bicycle will be documented and a license will be issued. The fee for bicycle licenses is $12.00 cash, exact change, no checks. The license is valid for two years. Contact the Business Office at 530-661-7800 with questions.

Does Woodland have a Curfew Ordinance?
It shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of eighteen years to loiter, idle, wander, stroll or play on or upon the public streets, highways, roads, alleys, parks, playgrounds or other public grounds, public places and public buildings, places of amusement and eating places, vacant lots or other unsupervised places between the hours of 10:00 p.m., or 11:00 p.m. daylight savings time and sunrise immediately following; provided, however, that the provisions of this section do not apply when the minor is accompanied by his or her parents, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor, or when the minor is upon an emergency errand directed by his or her parent or guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor or when the minor is returning directly home from a meeting, entertainment, recreational or occupational activity or dance.

Does Woodland have an ordinance pertaining to door to door solicitation?
Yes, solicitors are required to avoid homes and businesses where "No Soliciting" signs are posted and clearly visible from all entrances onto the property. An individual is in violation of the ordinance if they choose to knock at a door where such signs are posted. Religious and political organizations are exempt from this ordinance. Solicitors are required to carry and be prepared to show a business license issued by the City. Violations of the ordinance can be reported to the police department by calling the non- emergency dispatch number at 530-666-2411.

How can I obtain a sound permit?
A Sound Amplification Permit Application is available at the front office of the Police Department at 1000 Lincoln Avenue. The department will review the application. A fee of $25.00 is due upon approval of the application.

How can I request police reports?
Traffic or crime reports are available from the Police Department per the terms of the California Public Records Act and California Government Code Section 6254f at the front counter during regular business hours for $0.15 (15 cents) per page.  Photo ID is required.

Is alcohol allowed in City of Woodland parks?
Alcohol is allowed in parks by permit only. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 530-661-5880 for information about obtaining a permit.

Is there a number other then 9-1-1 that I should call if I require a police officer's assistance in a non-emergency situation?
Yes, 9-1-1 should only be used in life threatening situations or emergencies. In other circumstances requiring a police officer's response in the City of Woodland we ask that you call our non-emergency dispatch number at 530-666-2411.

What are the Police Department's Business Office hours?
The Business Office is open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays and most holidays.

What is considered a noise violation?
A noise violation is considered to be any loud, unnecessary or unusual noise, which annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.

What is considered graffiti?
Graffiti is defined as the unauthorized spraying of paint or marking or ink, chalk, dye or other similar substances on public and private buildings, structures and places where it is visible to the public (City Ordinance 1181).

When am I required to obtain a permit for sound?
A permit is required for the broadcast of a radio, phonograph or similar instrument, using voice or sound amplifiers, either into a public thoughfare from a fixed location or a moving vehicle, or in connection with any public celebration, public function on a public holiday, or in connection with the broadcast of events of interest to the general public.

When are bike helmets required?
Bike helmets are required for individuals under 18 years of age. This requirement is not only for bicycles, but for non-motorized scooters, skateboards and in-line skates, and also applies to passengers. For additional information see the DMV Vehicle Code.

When are child safety seats required?
While in a vehicle, a child must ride in a child safety seat until he/she reaches six (6) years of age and weighs sixty (60) pounds.

Where do I report graffiti?
If you see the application of graffiti in progress, please call 9-1-1. If you see graffiti already applied, please contact the Police Dispatch at 530-666-2411.

Spanish Ukrainian Tagalog French German Russian Italian Portuguese Japanese Korean Chinese Arabic