The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other crime. The following tips from the Woodland Police Department can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season. Remove the OPPORTUNITY or at least make it difficult for the criminal. Most of the burglaries occur through open doors or windows.
· Be very cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the home. Always use secondary locks on doors and windows.
· When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
· Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
· Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
· Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
· When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.
· Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
· If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.
· Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.
· Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
Criminals take advantage of the holiday season to prey on those who are unsuspecting and generous. Be careful when someone you do not know comes to your door during the holiday season. Call 666-2411 if you have any suspicion or are uncomfortable about anyone at your door. For additional crime prevention info, contact 661-7854.
· Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
· It is not uncommon for criminals to take advantage of the generosity of people during the holiday season by soliciting donations door-to-door for charitable causes although no charity is involved. Ask for their identification, and find out how the donated funds will be used. If you are not satisfied, do not donate.