Step 2: What permits will I need?

ADU Example

Accessory Dwelling Unit. (2022). California Department of Housing and Community Development.

Depending on the size and style of ADU, you may need a Building Permit, an ADU Permit, or a Zoning Administrator Permit (ZAP).

  • All ADUs shall satisfy the requirements of the California Building Standards Code, as amended by the City, and any other applicable laws.

When do I need a Building Permit?

  • An ADU that is less than 800 square feet in size, under 16-feet in height, with side & rear setbacks of at least 4-feet may be allowed with Building Permit review only (staff review).
  • ADUs converting an already existing structure may only need a Building Permit, check with Planning staff.
  • ADUs subject to building permit review shall comply with Building Permit submittal requirements summarized below (see Building Permit, below).
    • Visit Building for a complete set of requirements.

When do I need an ADU Permit?

  • An ADU that is between 800 and 1,000 square feet in size, and up to two bedrooms, is subject to a staff level review, ADU Permit in addition to Building Permit review.
  • ADUs subject to ADU Permit requirements are required to meet architectural, landscape and screening standards. 
  • ADUs subject staff level ADU Permit review shall comply with submittal requirements provided in the City ordinance 17.104.010 (E)(5), and summarized below (see ADU Permit, below).

When do I need a Zoning Administrator Permit?

  • An ADU between 1,000 and 1,200 square feet in size, and/or three bedrooms, requires discretionary staff level review through a Zoning Administrator Permit in addition to Building Permit review
  • ADUs subject to discretionary review shall comply with Zoning Administrator Permit application requirements summarized below (see ZAP, below).

What are the submittal requirements?

  1. Building Permit
  2. ADU Permit
  3. ZAP

Building Permit:

ADUs subject to building permit review will comply with building permit submittal requirements.

  • Before a building permit can be issued, a deed restriction must be filed.