Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
City of Woodland Fire Department 1000 Lincoln Ave. Woodland, CA 95695 Phone: 530-661-5860 Fax: 530-662-5781
Firefighters responded to two structure fires on Saturday evening. According to Battalion Chief Eric Zane, “Although both fires were relatively small, both had extreme potential if it wasn’t for the quick action taken by residents at both fires”. Although the fires were unrelated both occurred in the southwest part of Woodland.
The first fire started in a garage and was electrical in nature. The homeowner deployed a fire extinguisher onto the flames, slowing the fires growth. Zane stated “the homeowner’s quick actions helped limit the spread of the fire, until firefighters could arrive to fully extinguish and remove burned material.” Both firefighters and the homeowners agreed that a fire like this, in the middle of the night could have been much worse. “Had this occurred during normal sleep hours, the fire would have spread further into the home.” Stated Zane.
The second fire only a few hours later, occurred when an unattended candle caught the edge of a mattress on fire. Homeowners, alerted to the fire closed the door and exited the home, calling 911. “closing the bedroom door limited the fires spread and damage” mentioned Zane. Zane continued “candles are a leading cause of fires in the United States, and even more so during the holiday season.”
Firefighters would like to remind residents of the following after these two fires;
Though both fires were kept small, the potential of each was alarming. The Woodland Fire Department urges all residents to use caution this Holiday Season.