City of Woodland
300 First Street
May 20, 2020 - Updates for the Community
While the shelter-in-place order continues through May 31, there are still great opportunities to get out in the community while socially distancing.
Citywide Scavenger Hunt
Woodland Community Services Department welcomes you and your family to participate in a fun scavenger hunt throughout Woodland. The Hunt event starts on Monday, May 25th and ends on Friday, May 29th. To participate, simply use the clues available each day to find the pieces of the puzzle to solve throughout Woodland. Complete the scavenger hunt by submitting all photos and solving the puzzle will admit participants into a drawing for prizes. All are invited to participate in the Scavenger Hunt.
Scavenger Hunt details and rules:
- There are two scavenger hunts located within Woodland city limits
- 95776 Hunt (clue locations are all to the east of East Street)
- 95695 Hunt (clue locations are all to the west of East Street)
- Each hunt will have different clues to different destinations. The hunts are separate and DO NOT rely upon one another to solve the puzzle. You only have to complete one of the hunts to solve the puzzle.
- Each day during the week of May 25-29 clues will be posted to the website cityofwoodland.org/scavengerhunt, and on our Woodland Community Services “Parks and Rec.” Facebook page.
- Using the clues provided, participants travel to designated locations and “collect” each day’s piece to the puzzle using their phone/camera. Please take a photo of the puzzle piece you found.
- Puzzle pieces will be defined at a location with a COW (City of Woodland) close by.
- Collect, submit, and title your submission with the puzzle’s answer. After the last clues are provided on Friday, May 29th submit your puzzle answer through Facebook Messenger to WoodlandRec or email WoodlandCSD@cityofwoodland.org.
- Submission of your puzzle answer enters you into a drawing for prizes.
For questions about how to participate in the Scavenger Hunt, email WoodlandCSD@cityofwoodland.org
Find TREXPO and Get an Activity Bag
Community Services has partnered with Woodland Joint Unified School District to bring recreation to the public during the week. Free activity bags are being distributed to families during the WJUSD meal pick-up. If you’re missing recreation in your lives, come and visit staff and take a picture with TREXPO (families not picking up a lunch are welcome to pick up an activity bag too). Mondays @ Tafoya Elementary, Wednesdays @ Prairie Elementary, Thursdays @ Woodland High School, and Fridays @ Gibson Elementary (all from 11 am – 1 pm). Packets will also be available for pick up at the Woodland Community & Senior Center on Wednesdays from 4-5 pm.
City Recreation Programs
As summer begins to draw near, the public has many questions about the availability and safety of the City’s recreation programs. The City wants to assure you that staff is working diligently on trying to provide the public with information as soon as it is available and to provide programming to serve the recreational needs of the public. Community Services staff is continuing to assess future programming beyond June 30 following recommendations from the Yolo County Public Health Officer and the Center for Disease Control.
For the camp programs, Summertime Fun Club and Summer Teen Pack, the programs are being evaluated and staff-to-participant ratios are being amended to take into account social distancing requirements. If you have signed up for these programs and are no longer interested, please call 661-2000. If you are interested in these programs, please visit the website to be placed on a waiting list. (www.cityofwoodland.org/csd). Other programs where social distancing is not possible have been cancelled including the Yosemite teen trip, the Woodland Wreckers Swim Team and public swim times (public swim is initially cancelled for June). Session 1 swim lessons have also been cancelled (June 15- June 25).
Programming updates will be released as soon as they become available. Visit www.cityofwoodland.org/csd for updates.
Safe and Sane Fireworks (Fireworks Booths)
Although the larger public 4th of July events have been canceled this year, residents will still be able to celebrate the holiday at home and enjoy personal fireworks. The City is still planning to allow the sale and use of Safe and Sane fireworks for personal household celebrations outdoors. Similar to previous years, the sales will begin on June 28 at noon and run through the 4th of July. Sale procedures may look a little different, and the City is currently working with the safe and sane fireworks vendors to update protocols and guidelines in light of COVID19 considerations, to ensure that sales are conducted as safely as possible. As a reminder, only those fireworks registered with the California State Fire Marshal’s Office as Safe and Sane are approved for use within the State of California. Fireworks may not be sold to anyone under the age of 18. Woodland Fire Department will be providing additional information as we get closer to the holiday.
Coronavirus in Woodland and Yolo County
The City of Woodland continues to closely monitor the impacts of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and provide information to assist residents and businesses to respond to the emergency as it evolves.
The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Woodland is 88 (as of 5 pm on May 19, 2020). Stay up to date by visiting the Yolo County Novel Coronavirus website.
Additional information can also be found at www.cityofwoodland.org. To receive email alerts from the City of Woodland visit www.cityofwoodland/notifyme. To receive email alerts from the County visit www.yolocounty.org.