All 7th-12th grade students in Yolo County are invited to attend “Adulting 101: Life Skills for Teens” hosted by the Woodland Public Library and the Yolo County Office of Education. This free event will be held on Saturday, September 9 from 9 AM to 3 PM at the Woodland Community and Senior Center at 2001 East Street. Students can choose up to four workshops to learn about life skills not typically taught in high school, including how to use tools, how to do basic car maintenance, and how to ace an interview.
Adulting 101 kicks off at 9:15 AM with a welcome from Teen Advisory Board President Sarah Mandujano followed by special guest speaker Dr. Whitney Phillips. Dr. Phillips is a professor at the University of Oregon and recently published the book You are Here: A Field Guide for Navigating Polarized Speech, Conspiracy Theories, and Our Polluted Media. Adulting 101 will end with a closing speech from Woodland Mayor Vicky Fernandez.
“I am excited to go to Adulting 101 because the event offers many professional courses that will help us later in life,” says Pioneer High School junior Fatima Martinez. “Not only that, but there are some sessions where we can have fun like frosting cupcakes or learn how to paint with one of our librarians!”
Students can register online at www.cityofwoodland.org/adulting101. For additional questions or information, contact the Woodland Public Library at 530-661-5980.
Breakfast will be available and lunch will be provided by Jersey Mike’s.
The following non-profit organizations, government agencies, individuals, and businesses are presenting these introductory courses:
Sustainability Tips for a Greener Tomorrow—City of Woodland Environmental Services (“EnviroWoodland”)
- Join EnviroWoodland for a presentation on sustainable living for young adults. Discover practical ways to make a positive impact on the environment through recycling, composting, and water conservation. This interactive presentation will include chances to win prizes to help put what you’ve learned into action.
Know Your Rights—Yolo County District Attorney
- Every person should know their legal rights. This workshop will discuss the evolution of teenage rights as well as explain the criminal justice system for both adults and juveniles.
How to Get a Job—Friday Night Live
- In the "How to Get a Job" workshop, you'll get advice on job interviews. We will talk about resumes, job applications, and appropriate attire. We will also talk about the documents you will need once you get hired.
Poppin‘ Painting with Roshelle—Woodland Public Library
- Sip on an ice-cold soda pop and snack on some popcorn while Roshelle walks you through a step-by-step painting tutorial!
Community College or University? Both are Awesome!—Judge Timothy Fall
- Volleyball classes, a field trip to the Grand Canyon, transferring to England for a year of college? All of these can happen if you decide to keep going to school after you finish high school. As someone who paid his own way through community college and university (and got to take those volleyball classes, go to the Grand Canyon, and study in England), Judge Fall can help you understand all your options.
Plant Therapy—Woodland Community College (WCC)
- Learn how to care for succulents and create a succulent arrangement. Then we will talk about agriculture courses at WCC and potential career paths. Did you know that high school students can take college courses for free?
SOGIE & SUD 101—CommuniCare Health Center, Elevate Queer Yolo
- SOGIE (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Expression) and Narcan training for high school youth encompasses education about diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, and self-expression while also providing knowledge on administering Narcan, a life-saving opioid overdose reversal medication. From CommuniCare Health Centers, the Elevate Queer Yolo program promotes inclusivity, understanding, and equips students with crucial skills to support themselves and their peers' well-being.
What a Tool!—Woodland Public Library
- Learn what you need in a tool box and how to use them!
Zen With a Pen—Woodland Public Library
- Learn a cool, relaxing technique to draw and paint an octopus.
Healthy Eating on a Budget—CalFresh
- Learn how to make the healthy choice the easy choice when shopping for food at the grocery store to eat healthier and to save money.
Job Application & Interview Tips—City of Woodland Human Resources
- Trying to land your first job? Get practical advice for completing a job application, resume building, and tips for job interviews.
- Join this session to learn how to ace any interview and land the job you want. You’ll also learn how to make a successful resume step-by-step.
Standing Out When It Counts—UC Davis Undergraduate Admissions: Early Academic Outreach Program
- Participants will understand how to respond to the University of California (UC) personal insight questions. All eight questions will be reviewed, allowing the student to make the best-informed decision about which four questions to select. Note: this session is specifically geared for 11th and 12th grade students.
You Do You and Be Successful Too!—Woodland Community College (WCC)
- Learn about the resources available at Woodland Community College and how to make your student experience what you want it to be. Explore your interests, gain experience, and have fun all while working toward your degree. Will include a moment for a mindfulness meditation.
Buttercream Flower Cupcakes—Zest West Bakery
- Learn several techniques for making buttercream flowers for cupcakes and cakes. You'll have the opportunity to use multiple piping tips and tools to practice these techniques, as well as the opportunity to create your own design.
Roadmap to Your Future: Start Your Own Journey Towards a Career for YOU—Yolo County Office of Education
- Gain confidence to own your future! Discover tools that will help you make decisions and plan for your personal career path. You will learn how to identify careers that match your interests, talents, and passions. In addition, you will go home ready to use online tools to continue to discover options and plan for a successful future.
What's Communication Got To Do With It?—PRO Youth & Families
- We will cover the reasons why healthy communication is important. These tips can work in all areas and all relationships in your life. The workshop will be interactive and will give space for participants to role play.
Power Yoga—Happy Heart Yoga
- Come join Happy Heart Yoga for a 60-minute Power Yoga session, where you will get moving and learn exercises that you can practice at home. This movement session will include flexibility, strength, and relaxation training. All ages and levels are welcome.
First Aid—City of Woodland Community Services Department
- Learn first aid methods and how to use them. Note: this session does not provide certification.
Studying 101: Methods, Time Management, and Myths—Katie Metelitz
- Have you ever pulled an all-nighter? Does Pomodoro sound more like a pasta dish than a way to manage your time? Knowing how to study and what to study is a necessary skill for academic success, but it doesn't always come naturally. Learn how to improve these skills as well as ways to organize yourself and efficient, science-backed methods in this introductory course.
Managing Stress with Meditation—Sarah Wisniewski RN, MSN, CNS
- This workshop will cover meditation and the current myths associated with meditation, how stress and overwhelm affect the body in the short term and the long term, and the parasympathetic nervous system. Participants will learn deep breathing and journaling exercises.
Financial Trivia—Schools First Credit Union
- Test your knowledge on multiple financial topics like savings/checking accounts, credit building, auto buying, college, and much more.
Voter Registration 101—Yolo County Assessor / Clerk-Recorder / Elections Office
- Participants will learn how to register to vote and have the chance to register in-person at the event. This workshop will include important information about the upcoming presidential primary election taking place March 5, 2024.
Basic Car Maintenance—Marquez Designs
- In this session, you will learn a basic understanding of how cars work, how to do maintenance yourself, and how to inspect a used vehicle.
Understanding Your Dollars & Cents—SAFE Credit Union
- In this workshop, SAFE’s Financial Education team takes a deep dive into understanding topics that are crucial to your financial success: managing a budget and understanding your credit. This course will help you recognize the importance of creating a budget, differentiating needs and wants, and how to manage healthy debt.
All Signs Point North: Be Prepared to Go Outdoors —Woodland Public Library
- Have you ever wanted to go on a hike or a camping trip but aren't confident in your outdoor skills? Explore the tools needed to set your next great outdoor adventure up for success with this workshop from the Woodland Public Library.